Tagline
Love can be deceitful, even fateful

The First and Only:
 
 The first time,
   O my.
That first time 
   Left me high as a kite.
 
The first time I saw,
   Really saw.
      (I mean in all your glory
      All your meekness
      All your breathtaking prettiness)
The first time ever 
   I saw your face,
I saw too your fate.
 
I saw your face
   And traced each feature
With my finger,
   Lingering
On your lips.
 
I sipped life that day,
   Drank way  deep.
      Your sleep a byproduct.
 
Your generous smile
   Had me beguiled.
I could not resist,
   Would not desist,
      I drank.
 
You could not know,
   Nor did suspect,
That the trap you set
   Would be your last.
No prank.
 
Past caring, you abandoned all
   And cast yourself in a freefall.
You like to play with fire,
   No?
Your object of desire though
   Should not be played with, as a toy.
For he's no ordinary boy.
 
You thought to trap me
   In a fisher net.
To draw me in,
   Then set me free
      Teasingly.
But then, I struck...
 
I sapped your life
   And drank that day.
And I drew life
   As yours slipped away.
I am Dracula’s son.
   What can I say?
 The  deed once done
   Just goes one way.
      I feel no remorse, of course.
 
The first time ever I saw your face
   I smelled the blood
      And felt it run
         Already in my veins
Your look inspired me
   Your beauty fired me,
Your smell enticed me.
   Your blood sufficed me.
 
Thank you, my precious!


Carole Stolz © Dezember 2022
(Word Count 259)
FCA


This was written after the prompt “ The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” 
from Write Edit Publish, a writing group which bimonthly pens friendly 
competition. 
For more entries for the December 2022 Challenge please  click on this link.

I love this song and the rendering from Roberta Flack is one of my all time favourites. I truly hope that I haven’t ruined this song for you forever. I simply go where the muse takes me.


Comments

  1. Yikes! I wasn't expecting that!! Great twist and take on the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jemi. I was in the thriller mood from October!

      Delete
  2. LOL, love the way you think. Just glorious!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yolande. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Hi, an interesting take on the prompt. I don't think Flack was thinking about a vampire when she sang her beautiful song, but loving cannot be categorized. Have a Merry Christmas. Shalom aleichem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty, I think! I know - it doesn't really fit to that beautiful song!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Carole - great take on the prompt - and so true in nature for some creatures ... including humans as in Dracula's son - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a wonderful take on the prompt! Very clever and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever and unexpected take on the prompt. Enjoyed reading. Always great to have poetry entries.
    Thank you for participating in this challenge and for your support of WEP.
    Happy holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Carole. Love me some vampire but confess i wasn't expecting Dracula to appear this prompt. How cool! Thank you, my precious!
    And i take this opportunity to thank you for your stories/poems for WEP. Looking forward to having you along in 2023!
    Season's greetings!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! That was bloody. Vampires could be so single-minded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, that's a face I'd like to miss. Haha. Well written.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment