The Sinking and the Sweet


Tagline: To a young woman depressed and without means after a shipwreck, salvation comes from an unexpected encounter.

 

I stared out over the railing at the horizon, which was precariously rolling up and down as the waves pitched on and on relentlessly.

“We’re never going to make it“ I screamed out loud to anyone who wanted to listen. But only the wind’s loud voice returned to me, whistling an uncanny tune of doom.

“Man the lifeboats!“ the officer commanded at the top of his voice, screaming to be heard over the agony wails of the storm. „Women and children first.“

„Where? What? How?“ - in a confusion of flight the masses raced past me, all focused, all determined, all terrified.

 

I followed, quickening my pace to keep up. There they were. Frighteningly small, too few. Someone pushed me headlong and I fell into the first boat, a flurry of petticoats taking flight, landing me painfully upon the other passengers, too winded to apologize.

Before I could think the boat was being lowered to the black depths. The splash and shudder of contact making us aware that we had arrived. Some strong young crew members quickly put their backs into it, rowing us away from the sinking ship, sailing us towards the nothingness of jet blackness. Anyone with breath was crying, wimpering, howling or sobbing, all shivering in the cold.

 

Three days. Four nights. How many souls were lost? Too many. Too many to count. Too many for my lonely soul to comprehend. Of all of them, only one mattered.

John was gone. The man I worshipped, the man who loved me and who I loved back with a fervour which was shamingly passionate. How did we get separated? Why wasn’t he at my side that fateful night? What am I going to do without him? Is life worth living any more?

“No“, the woeful answer, “God no!“

When we finally hit land and safety, compassionate hands helped me out of the boat. But I couldn’t feel the warm blankets they flung around my shoulders, couldn’t hear their kind words of comfort, couldn’t see one single step in front of me. I had ceased to be. Deceased. I died out there with my fiancée. My heart had stopped pumping, my lungs had stopped breathing, the spark that was my life had spluttered out.

 

So how did I become the self assured young woman I am today? What revived my flagging body? What sparked the joy of life I know today, what magic turned me around? 

 

It happened in a moment, a mouth watering moment of indulgence. 

 

The next day, after my arrival at this new stage of my life, I was sitting with other survivors at a table, hopeful of encouragement and perspective.

 

A young man came up to me. He had kind blue eyes and a gentle confidence to his step. One word jumped into my mind as I beheld him… “balanced“.

He offered me a tea, but I declined. A piece of meat with potatoes. But my stomach was still cramping from the food I had greedily gobbled down last night. Famished as I was, no one told me to eat slowly and not too much. Today I was paying the consequences.

 

Then he did something that would forever change my life.

“This is a sea port. We see and taste, smell and touch things that no one else has ever known. Try this.“ He pulled a bundle from under the bar and sacredly undid the knot. Then he pulled out an earth coloured block of something so non-descript that I wanted to ignore him. But there was something about the way he reverently touched it that captivated me. He took a sharp knife and sliced off a chunk of it and handed it to me. I just stared at him. “What do I do with it?“ I asked. My curiosity now piqued. “Why eat it, silly“, he replied!

I smelled it and the most exotic and overwhelming scent I had ever smelled hit my brain and I started to salivate! “O my!“ I uttered, and popped the whole piece into my mouth. 

 

That was it. I was lost. An explosion of sweetness, and fantastic harmonious gorgeousness erupted in my mouth and sent shivers of delight to every corner of my being.

I was in love. Chocolate had entered my life and was to be my consuming passion until the day I died!

 

Carole Stolz © August 2023

(Word Count 792)

FCA

 


 

This was written after the prompt “ Chocolat” 

from Write Edit Publish, a writing group which bimonthly pens friendly 

competition. 

For more entries for the August 2023 Challenge please  click on this link.

Comments

  1. Chocolate and the kindness of a handsome stranger to break through the grief and shock of loss. So well told!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she found a reason to keep living!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carole! Wow! What a treatment for Chocolat! Loved the tension at the beginning, so well told I felt like I was pushed into that lifeboat with you. And your grief for your fiance! Palpable. Your story was told with such panache - words and phrases to savor - "towards the nothingness of jet blackness". And your inclusion of chocolate was beautifully rendered. What a glorious story from start to end! (So lovely that the Chocolat prompt brought you back to us). Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Denise! Yes, it’s been a crazy year… but as chocolate really is a passion of mine, I knew that I had to write for this one!

      Delete
  4. I agree: chocolate could heal so many ills. Not all, of course, but many, at least for a time. And sometimes, time is all we need to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Olga. Give me chocolate and I’m happy!!!

      Delete
  5. Chocolate has consoled many of us. A love that never ends. Thank you for this very different take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given the chance, chocolate can heal many ailments. Well that’s My experience! Thank you for your comments!

      Delete
  6. Hi Carole! Splendid writing. You created a fantastic imagery, great scenes with your words. I also liked the idea of chocolat being a main character (the saviour), along with the young man, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise indeed. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  7. Hi, I'm trying to comment one more time on your blog. As I read your submission, I thought of the Titanic. Excellent writing. Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I stared out over the railing at the horizon, which was precariously rolling up and down as the waves pitched on and on relentlessly."
    Pardon me while I go for a jolly puke. I get seasick so easily.
    I could picture every scene. The words are very vivid. I loved the ending. Chocolate does have a way of making things better! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad for your visceral response - that's quite a compliment!

      Delete
  9. This morning, I'm reading through the range of responses to this month's prompt and am amazed at the depth and diversity, as shown here in a tale that takes us from shipwreck to redemption. Beautifully written and an inspirational reminder that, despite what happens in real life, we can be coaxed back to appreciate anew this gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole: thank you Beth. Yes the diversity is always what I love about the responses to the prompts. Such richness!

      Delete
  10. lol. So devastating, then a ray of life renewed. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dolorah! Hope dies last!

      Delete
  11. I was there on the ship, as I read every word of your story!
    I am glad she found the kindness of another human being to lift her out of the abyss. And chocolate, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole: Thank you Shilpa. I’m glad you got so engrossed!

      Delete
  12. Chocolate is the absolute perfect antidote to grief! Glad she was offered some. Lovely take on the prompt. Well crafted flash, great tension and a HEA. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole: Thank you Nila! Praise indeed! Chocolate is the answer to every problem under the sun!!!

      Delete
  13. Hi Carole ... well done - I'd hate to be in that position ... and thank goodness she was rescued - yet what a dreadful event she has to recover from ... the shipwreck and rescue, but more so the loss of her fiancee. I too thought of the Titanic ... and I'm not that happy out on the ocean waves. The concept of a small piece of chocolate as being a life-line - so true for many of us, who love that taste of chocolate. As Shilpa mentions ... the kindness of another human being to help her out of the abyss, she's understandably in. Great take on Chocolat ... the Sinking and the Sweet recovery ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole:Thanks so much Hilary. Yes chocolate has many a time rescued me out of deep doldrums!!! Always love the thought you put into your comments. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations on your Encouragement Award ... chocolate is still encouraging you! Cheers Hilary

      Delete
  14. Oh the magical benefits of chocolates! Wonderful tale 😍

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that chocolate saved the character. And you have an excellent description of it. I could imagine the block.

    „W
    I have never seen that marking before. I assume it to just be an opening quote, but I've never seen one look like a comma before. This is just a curious observation and nothing at all to do with you or your magnificent story. Much like your character doesn't know chocolate, I have never seen this. Perhaps it's from a non-English keypad? Curious!

    Anyway, ignore my distraction. This story was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Ohhh... double low-9 quotation mark. Unicode and German, mostly, according to Google. Fascinating. Learned something new today! Thanks.)

      Delete
    2. Carole: Thank you for your encouragement.
      I live in Germany and as you researched, things in quotation marks „look like this“ in German. I can trick the keyboard, but as you noticed, some slipped through this time! Well spotted.

      Delete
  16. HUGE congratulations on your WEP Award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole: Thank you soooo much! Really great!

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on the award. You definitely deserve it. What a fantastic story with chocolate as the edible expression of hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole: Thank you! Can't go wrong with Chocolate as the theme!!! Really LOVED the entries and thoroughly enjoyed reading them all!

      Delete
  18. Fantastic. Finding love again, but now in food. Great use of the prompt.
    The IWSG is celebrating 12 years today, which is so amazing for a blogging community of writers. A dozen years of support! 🎉
    "The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library." – Albert Einstein quote
    September is library card sign-up month! Get one, use one, and be grateful such places exist.

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction &Reference Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment