Please read this Letter

 

Tagline: Words can never express how much I miss you



Dearest  N.,

 

I do hope that you are able to read this letter one day. I just wanted to tell you one more time that I love you.

 

You were so young when you were taken from me. I will always miss your understanding eyes, your shows of tenderness. You never were able to speak, but we communicated at a depth that few find. Each morning I would be so grateful that you were alive and hugged you until I could feel your love tank full to overflowing. Then I’d set you free and you would go about your day in your own world. 

 

I could never be part of that world, not completely. I’d take you on walks and was sure that you enjoyed the different places which we explored together. After an hour or two we’d return home and you would sleep. You slept lots more than I ever did and I never begrudged you it. I knew you needed the sleep to stay healthy. 

I am so sorry for the car trips. That was something that you never enjoyed. But how else could we experience sunsets together over the ocean, or sunrises over the mountains? I wouldn’t have missed those moments for anything. Even the shorter trips to a much loved restaurant were an ordeal for you. But you never complained and with time I convinced myself that you too enjoyed the atmosphere and the smells if not the taste of good food. I guess I enjoyed that much more than you did, but I assume you would have been just as happy to have stayed at home or visit your favourite woods. 

 

Perhaps you are there now. Smelling those scents, running back and forth. Whiffing a deer, spotting a rabbit, imagining a fox. You were a great hunter and good too. So many prizes you brought home – proud of your dastardly accomplishment.

 

I miss you my friend – perhaps there is a heaven also for dogs and we will see each other again one day. Until then, thanks for the memories… 




Carole Stolz © June 2022
(Word Count 393)
FCA



This is part of the WEP June Challenge.





To read all the other entries to the WEP June Challenge, please click on this link WEP Challenge



Comments

  1. Hello Carole. What a beautiful use of the prompt. You caught me at the end. Our bond with our dogs is so strong. They're so sadly missed. Like a beloved family member.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. Yes, very sadly missed - we were on holiday as it happened - just last week. So we weren't even able to say goodbye to him. So sad. But this was a kind of self therapy!

      Delete
  2. Lovely. I'm so sorry you've lost your friend - dogs become such a huge part of our hearts. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carole. Thank you for this sensitive interpretation of the prompt, which was straight from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miss Carole,
    Thanks for this wonderful take on the prompt. I’m an animal lover and dogs are my faves. I’ve lost pets, so I know how you’re feeling. You’ve written a lovely letter to your beautiful dog. For sure it will help you deal with your grief. Sorry for your loss. No longer at your side but forever in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If heaven doesn't have room for our much loved (mostly) furry companions I don't want to go...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sensitive and moving. Lovely take on the prompt. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a lovely tribute to your canine friend. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. As a dog lover myself, this brought tears to my eyes. Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss! I can imagine how dreadful that must have been for you. Thank you for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a tender letter, and also a beautiful tribute written for a beautiful companion who is no longer with us... thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dreamed of my little cat whom I lost to multiple system failure on his 6th birthday in 2015. I have a tattoo commemorating him on my left shoulder. It's been almost seven years and I still think of him every day. I appreciated this poem in memory of a beloved animal companion very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings. A perfect letter for a perfect relationship. I too have had many dogs. All loved beyond words. I figure, when I die, I'll be surrounded by wet tongues and in bliss. Well done.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry for your loss. My patches died in my arms, and I miss her so very, very much. I've written many a poem to her, about her, and for her. That love so encompassing and pure never dies.
    Beautiful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a precious dog you had. I can understand how hard it must have been to lose him. Lovely letter, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww 😔 so sad!!! Good letter though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment