The Great Wave


"W.A.V.E...When A Virus Engulfs"
Entry for the WEP June 2021 Challenge


The Great Wave

Carole Stolz, 14.06.2021


It may take one, two or three waves… 

but by then you believe that the next one is coming…


I was drawn into the wave and waved goodbye to life.

  Drowning, waves of regret washed over me.

    I waived the warnings in lieu of hope

      and hope overtook me, but only for a split second.

    For then a wave of panic swept over me once more and I 

  sank into its depths. 

Surrounded by its familiar power, unwaveringly, I succumbed.


It crashed all around me and in the turbulence I struck out, gasping. 

  Arms and legs splayed out in every which way. 

    I could not get a foothold. I tried, really, I did, but to no avail. 

      You see, the next wave had already hit me and was doing its worst. 

    Spluttering, gasping, teeth grinding the sand-salt cocktail in my mouth. 

  Like being raped I could do nothing to stop the powerful insistence. 

All thought of resistance gone, I succumbed.


But then, gracious arms lifted me up. 

Held me close. 

  Whispered loving thoughts into my tattered inner conscience. 

  Safety? - Was this a part of the nightmare. A false olive branch? 

But even more persistent than the wave, 

was the comfort, 

  the love, 

    the overwhelming acceptance

       of a One more powerful than the wave, 

     more mighty than death, 

    more consuming than fear.

 Gladly I succumbed.

He loves me,

  my Father

    my Saviour

      my Redeemer.

        The all powerful, 

     all loving, 

   all caring, 

 all knowing, 

          all in all.

            Thank You. 

    Rest.



Carole Stolz © 2021

(262 Words) 


To read further WEP entries for June please go to this link: WEP entries June 2021




Comments