Baby It's Cold Outside (WEP February 2021 Challenge)





Baby, It's Cold Outside!

It’s tough to reach beyond the cloth
    and raise myself out of the sloth,
To touch you.

Your eyes they promise to adore 
    and seem to draw me into more,
Much of you.

Anticipation must be checked
    or else our lives we will have wrecked.
No more you.

But how the longing kindles fire
    I cannot hold back my desire.
I ignore you.

Your hair it shines a shimmering hue,
    I long to run my fingers through.
But I dare not.

My pulse is throbbing, my heart it aches, 
    but you’re assuming - a bad mistake...
That I care not.

In gay abandon I step forward,
    hoping for love, an encouraging yes-word.
I pucker up.

But you step aside as your name I call.
    Could you not have stopped my fall?
I buggered up!

I should have known, I could have shown
    understanding, for the rules alone...
I need assistance.

So tell me please, I need to ask.
    How might we then kiss a mask?
With social distance?

And even if we venture out, 
    the danger’s lower, I have no doubt.
But you'll hurt my pride!

We still can't kiss or pet or cuddle.
    The danger's lower, but not to huddle.
And Baby, it's cold outside!



Can we zoom a kiss or Skype a hug?
A virtual Hangout’s not making love!
And a video call is not at all
The same as bracing and taking the fall.

We’ve seen it on Instagram, Facebook, Linked-In,
But nothing is quite like the feel of soft skin…
The parting lips, the giddy heights,
The hope that that first kiss invites!


  This is a cry out to whoever during this Covid pandemic. Those of us fortunate enough to be in great relationships need to jump for joy and run naked around the garden whooping or fall on our knees and thank God for our great blessings. What, though, about our teenagers. How they are missing out - on their first drink, first disco, first party, first visit to the pub, shouting aloud, walking about, eating out and… oh yes and that first kiss.

Carole Stolz © 2020 
(316 words)



  I hope that you enjoyed my thoughts for the challenge and on Klimt's "the Kiss". By the way, if you are ever in Vienna (when Covid is over) then DO go to look at the original by Klimt. It is hanging in Schloss Belvedere and is AMAZING. It is square and much larger than you have probably imagined it to be!
Click on HERE to read more entries in the WEP February 2021 Challenge!

Comments